A Hairy Mess

beard bw

Yep, Isaac grew a beard. I don't know how it started, but I didn't mind the new look it so it just kept growing. After about a week though, it reached that weird in-between phase of not quite a beard, but well past scruff. It was facial hair in no-mans land and Isaac began to look like he had let himself go.
It was time for a haircut and a clean shave.
Problem is, I don't know how to cut hair (I know, sad) and there were no salons in the area with an appointment that day....except Walmart. In retrospect, I cannot in my right mind figure out why in the world we didn't just wait a few extra days instead of going to Walmart of all places for a haircut. I mean, seriously. Who gets their haircut at Walmart? But, we wanted that hair off right away and that smiley face and the promise of convenience was calling our name. What resulted is the worst $17 that we have ever spent. After returning home, I was in the family room while Isaac was in the bathroom checking out his haircut when I hear him yell "WHAT THE?!? She missed the whole left side of my head!" Sure enough, she had failed to cut the hair on the left side of Isaac's head. Hahaha, it was pretty hilarious. We laughed and laughed, then called up Laura (Isaac's stylist if you will) and tried to have her walk me through the steps to fix it. In the end, it really didn't look that bad, but we vowed to never do that again. I wish now that I would have taken a picture, but we were too shocked and focused on trying to fix it that I didn't even think about it. When we were living in Utah I never had to worry about it, because Laura was always there and available whenever we needed her and she does an AMAZING job. But now that that option isn't available to us anymore, I have a new goal to learn how to cut hair. My mom has always cut my Dad and Brother's hair and I guess I just never bothered to learn. Well, I am going to learn now. Who wants to teach me?

5 comments:

Deb Lamb said...

WHAT??? He looks "sick" (as Nathan would say) I believe that is a compliment by the way. You didn't shave the beard did you?? I would like to see some pics of Isaac in all of his glorious scruffiness! And, I would love to teach you how to cut hair. Let's practice on your little brother--ha ha!

Christensen family said...

Ha, that is so funny! Walmart is the best. :)
I started cutting Landon & Matthew's hair which is hard, but they don't care as much if I don't do it perfectly. I wish Laura lived closer, but I just couldn't handle paying $15 every 2 1/2 months for them to sort of cut Landon's hair (Fantastic Sams). If I can do it, you can too. :)

Martha said...

I just wish I could have seen his reaction when he realized only half of his hair was cut. That is too funny! Laura is really good at cutting hair, and she would always practice on my Barbies. So maybe you should start with that.

Starlie and Nate Schmutz said...

ha! that is hilarious that walmart did that!

Brad and Erica said...

Oh, I loved this story! It reminds me of the time that I got highlights and I ended up with tiger stripes on the back of my head, or the time right before graduation when I told the lady just to shave a little bit on the back of my neck and she buzzed half-way up my head and gave me a middle-age stacked haircut, or when I thought I would save money by going to the BYU barbershop, and the lady cut me tons of bangs straight across my forehead and really short. I cut Brad's hair, but military haircuts aren't too hard. If I can do it, so can you! (And I love the picture of Isaac's scruffy beard. And I am still laughing about this story...)